I finally decided to check off an item on my to do list, which is setting up a website and blog to gain experience with analytics, inbound marketing, and monetization.
This has been put off for way too long. In the past, I have used Name.com for domain acquisition and GoDaddy.com for WordPress hosting.
Here is an article from WPSitecare which I wish I read before paying with my credit card!
WordPress hosting speed matters:
- As an admin, content creation should not be slow and annoying when working on the site.
- Pages should load quickly otherwise the reader will go away and never come back!
- Consider customer support and online reviews in your selection criteria.
A simple websearch on the ‘host + wordpress slow’ will give you a good indication of reviews.
Unfortunately, I picked my provider by price, and because I received a referral discount. To summarize, I leaned towards taking action, and just picking the easiest and quickest path.
At a later point I will re-evaluate. This is a new site, so I have some time to learn and get a sense of true performance requirements. After all, there is no point getting an off-road vehicle for a trip to the mall!
What we can learn from Amazon around AI and the jobs of the future:
Some key insights as highlighted in the article by Tim O’Reilly:
- Amazon reminds us again and again that it isn’t technology that eliminates jobs, it is the short-sighted business decisions that use technology simply to cut costs and fatten corporate profits.
- As logistics and delivery become more automated, and costs continue to fall, what other kinds of services might be completely rethought, putting people to work delighting each other with currently unimaginable products or levels of service?
- As long as we use the productivity gains from technology to create value for society, and ensure that value is widely shared so that customers are able to afford the cornucopia of goods on offer, we will find new ways to put people to work.
I really love the idea where the author talks about imagining if the healthcare experience for patients and families is as delightful as the experience of the consumer engaging with the Amazon.com site. Healthcare could use machines and AI to increase efficiency, so that health care workers can spend more time providing quality patient care.